Play Therapy with Transgender & Gender Non-Conforming Youth & their Families – LIVE Web-based
Transgender students exist in every school district, county, city and town in the United States. Recent school surveys and other research tells us that 3% of students identify as a gender other than the one they were assigned at birth. After attending this play therapy workshop, participants will be able to apply their therapeutic tools that they already have, identify new interventions for working with Transgender youth and their families and compile local resources in the KC metro area that support this community.
- Participants of this workshop will analyze the history and philosophies of gender and gender expression through a play therapy lens.
- Participants of this workshop will apply academic evidence about the importance of gender expression to the value, worth and importance it holds in the playroom.
- Participants of this workshop will discuss and demonstrate how using culturally sensitive language when working with transgender and gender non-conforming clients increases the therapeutic alliance in the play therapy setting.
- Participants of this workshop will be able to demonstrate at least 6-8 play therapy activities for working with transgender and gender non-conforming children and their families.
- Participants of this workshop will create a plan on how to use the World Professional Association for Transgender Health Standards of Care in order to increase their overall clinical effectiveness in the playroom.
- Participants of this workshop will assess and compile a list of local resources and developmental play therapy practices related to transgender and gender non-conforming clients for immediate use in their clinical and/or play therapy practice.
Instructor: Bridget Dixon, LSCSW, RPT-S
- The workshop powerpoint and login information will be provided by email one day prior to the workshop. No refunds for workshop fees will be provided if the withdrawal request is received after 8:00 am on the day before the scheduled workshop.
- CE Certificates are provided at the conclusion of the workshop to individuals who register, login and participate in the live web-based workshop.
- Withdrawal requests should be submitted by email to [email protected] no later than 8:00 am the day before the scheduled workshop in order to receive a full refund of the paid workshop fee.
- If a student does not login and participate in the workshop the student will not be eligible for a refund or a CE certificate for the workshop.
- Heartland Play reserves the right to cancel a workshop due to insufficient enrollment. Heartland Play will email workshop students at least 5 calendar days in advance of the scheduled workshop date to notify students of the cancellation. Notice will be provided with the option to reschedule for a future course date or to receive a full refund of paid workshop fees.
- Heartland Play reserves the right to cancel a workshop due to inclement weather, instructor illness or instructor family emergency. If a workshop is canceled, students will be notified via e-mail prior to the workshop start time. Heartland Play will notify the students of a reschedule date for the workshop within 10 calendar days of the cancelled workshop. Notice will be provided with the option to reschedule for the future course date or to receive a full refund of the paid workshop fee.