Advanced Topics in Play Therapy: Play Therapy with Transgender and Gender Variant Youth – Live Web-Based Workshop
Families of transgender and gender-nonconforming (TGNC) youth often seek therapy for assistance in understanding, accepting, and supporting their child. This workshop is designed for the play therapist to apply play therapy techniques that they already possess while assessing family attunement when working with possible resistant families of TGNC youth. This workshop will also focus on identifying new family play therapy interventions while working with TGNC youth who are on the autism spectrum and/or who may have a trauma history. Ethics about working within this population will also be addressed.
This workshop is a follow up from our Level 1 workshop of Play Therapy with Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Youth and their Families.
- Participants of this workshop will examine the history, philosophies and ethics of gender and gender expression through the play therapy lens while discussing and processing through academic evidence about the importance of gender expression and its worth in the playroom.
- Participants of this workshop will discuss intersectionality and its application to gender affirmation in play therapy while demonstrating at least 3-4 play therapy activities for working with TGNC youth and their families.
- Participants of this workshop will examine resources and developmental practices related to TGNC youth and demonstrate how to engage parents and caregivers in assisting this population through their social and physical transition.
Instructor: Bridget Dixon, LSCSW, RPT-S
8:45-10:15 Sign-In, Play Check-In and Training
10:15-10:30 Morning Break
10:30-12:00 Training Continues, Post-Test & Evaluations
- The workshop powerpoint and login information will be provided by email one day prior to the workshop. No refunds for workshop fees will be provided if the withdrawal request is received after 8:00 am CST on the day before the scheduled workshop.
- CE Certificates are provided at the conclusion of the workshop to individuals who register, login and participate in the live web-based workshop.
- Withdrawal requests should be submitted by email to [email protected] no later than 8:00 am CST the day before the scheduled workshop in order to receive a full refund of the paid workshop fee.
- If a student does not login and participate in the workshop the student will not be eligible for a refund or a CE certificate for the workshop.
- Heartland Play reserves the right to cancel a workshop due to insufficient enrollment. Heartland Play will email workshop students at least 5 calendar days in advance of the scheduled workshop date to notify students of the cancellation. Notice will be provided with the option to reschedule for a future course date or to receive a full refund of paid workshop fees.
- Heartland Play reserves the right to cancel a workshop due to inclement weather, instructor illness or instructor family emergency. If a workshop is canceled, students will be notified via e-mail prior to the workshop start time. Heartland Play will notify the students of a reschedule date for the workshop within 10 calendar days of the cancelled workshop. Notice will be provided with the option to reschedule for the future course date or to receive a full refund of the paid workshop fee.