Play Therapy with Transgender & Gender Non-Conforming Youth and their Families – Kansas City
Transgender students exist in every school district, county, city and town in the United States. Recent school surveys and other research tells us that 3% of students identify as a gender other than the one they were assigned at birth. In this play therapy workshop, participants will learn how to use therapeutic tools that they already have, acquire new interventions for working with Transgender youth and their families and find out about resources available in the KC metro area.
- Participants of this workshop will examine the history and philosophies of gender and gender expression through the play therapy lens.
- Participants of this workshop will discuss and process through academic evidence about the importance of gender expression and understand its worth in the playroom.
- Participants of this workshop will recognize culturally sensitive language when working with transgender and gender non-conforming clients.
- Participants of this workshop will be able to demonstrate at least 6-8 play therapy activities for working with gender non-conforming /transgender children and their families.
- Participants of this workshop understand and be able to utilize the World Professional Association for Transgender Health Standards of Care in the playroom.
- Participants of this workshop will increase knowledge of resources and developmental practices related to transgender/gender non-conforming children in the playroom.
Instructor: Bridget Dixon, LSCSW, RPT-S