Play Therapy in the School Setting – Kansas City
This workshop will focus on the use of play therapy in schools with grades K-12 within both general education and special education settings. Child and play therapy strategies and techniques to utilize for assessment, treatment with groups and individuals, working with staff and Tier 1 services will be included. This workshop will focus on issues specific to the school setting.
- Participants will explore and troubleshoot issues specific to play therapy in the school setting such as collaborating with school staff, working with families, navigating school-based systems such as MTSS and special education, monitoring progress and crisis response.
- Participants will learn multiple play therapy techniques and strategies for a variety of ages and populations across all tiers of support in the school setting.
- Participants will learn through the play therapy lens key concepts they can apply within their practice in a school setting as a part of an inter-disciplinary team.
- Through a play therapy approach, participants will explore use of common assessment and diagnostic tools used in the school setting.
- From a child/play therapy lens, participants will learn, practice and discuss how to assist students to generalize skills in the play therapy room across the school day.
- Participants will learn how to collaborate with education and community staff to inform one’s child/play therapy practice with students and contribute on a multi-disciplinary team directed at supporting the child.
Instructor: Tina Clark, LSCSW, RPT-S
9:00-10:30 Sign-In, Play Check-In and Training
10:30-10:45 Morning Break
10:45-12:00 Training Continues
12:00-1:00 Lunch Break
1:00-2:30 Training Continues
2:30-2:45 Afternoon Break
2:45-4:30 Training Continues, Wrap-up and Evaluations
- Withdrawal requests should be submitted by email to [email protected] no later than 7 calendar days prior to the scheduled workshop date in order to receive a full refund of the paid workshop fee. Withdrawal requests that are submitted after 7 calendar days prior to the scheduled workshop date will result in a refund of the paid workshop fee – with the exception of a $50 administrative fee for a 2-day workshops and a $25 administrative fee for 1-day workshops.
- If a student does not attend a workshop and does not submit a withdrawal request as outlined in the previous sections by the time the workshop is concluded, within 5 business days Heartland Play will issue a refund of the paid workshop fee – with the exception of a $100 administrative fee for 2-day workshops and a $50 administrative fee for 1-day workshops.
- Heartland Play reserves the right to cancel a workshop due to insufficient enrollment. Heartland Play will email workshop students at least 5 calendar days in advance of the scheduled workshop date to notify students of the cancellation. Notice will be provided with the option to reschedule for a future course date or to receive a full refund of paid workshop fees.
- Heartland Play reserves the right to cancel a workshop due to inclement weather, instructor illness or instructor family emergency. If a workshop is canceled, students will be notified via e-mail prior to the workshop start time. Heartland Play will notify the students of a reschedule date for the workshop within 10 calendar days of the cancelled workshop. Notice will be provided with the option to reschedule for the future course date or to receive a full refund of the paid workshop fee.