Play Therapy with EMDR: Techniques and Strategies to Utilize EMDR with Children and Teens – Kansas City
This course will focus on play therapy interventions and adaptations for therapists wanting to use EMDR with children and teens. Participants will learn play therapy interventions to assist with all phases of the EMDR protocol. Experiential activities and case examples will be utilized throughout the training to assist clinicians to case conceptualize how to effectively implement the EMDR protocol with children and teens.
- Participants of this workshop will review the EMDR protocol while focusing on common play therapy attachment approaches to understand how EMDR is facilitated with children and teens.
- Participants of this workshop will review the impact of pre-verbal trauma on the brain, and through reviewing play therapy case examples, learn how to treat pre-verbal trauma in children using an EMDR protocol.
- Participants of this workshop will review the brain and trauma through the play therapy lens, and focus on ways to teach parents and children about how the brain works with EMDR for informed consent.
- Participants of this workshop will learn play therapy techniques experientially in order to engage clients for all phases of the EMDR protocol, including assessment of EMDR targets, resourcing, reprocessing, assessing SUD and VOC, closing out incomplete sessions, and body scans.
- Participants of this workshop will learn how to “put it all together” through case examples, video, and workshop member participation for what EMDR can look like with children while maintaining protocol fidelity in the playroom.
- Participants of this workshop will review unique challenges in working with children and when to modify or adjust EMDR protocol to address those needs, including developmental age of the trauma, resource development, and inclusion of caregivers in the play therapy setting.
- Participants of this workshop will utilize Sandtray techniques to learn ways to assess for targets, resource clients, and complete reprocessing in the playroom.
Instructor: Elizabeth Miranda, MS, LCMFT, LPC, RPT-S, EMDR Certified Therapist