This workshop is designed for EMDR-trained clinicians who work with children ages 2-8 years old. This workshop will discuss the main components of EMDR-Phase 2 in order to support client preparation for the full EMDR processing that can occur in the playroom. This unique population requires special consideration of developmental capacity and systemic nature of nervous system regulation. Experiential activities, videos, and case examples will be used to process through the core components of Phase 2, including obtaining informed consent, a developmentally appropriate explanation of the Adaptive Information Processing model and EMDR process, exploring secondary gain issues, and consideration of existing resources, stability, and level of current functioning as it relates to the child client.
- Workshop participants will discuss and process through the components of Phase 2 as set forth by Francine Shapiro, while applying the basic neurobiology concepts to the developmental needs of young children in the play therapy process.
- Workshop participants will experientially practice explaining the AIP Model and EMDR Process to children using developmentally appropriate language while demonstrating 5 or more interventions to support children’s ability to engage in the EMDR process.
- Participants of this workshop will identify 4 levels of existing resources, indicators of stability level, and considerations of current functioning of the child in the therapy process while taking into consideration how to structure play therapy sessions in a way that promotes security for the child client.
9:30-11:15 Sign-In, Check-In and Training
11:15-11:30 Morning Break
11:30-12:45 Training Continues, Wrap-up and Evaluations
- Withdrawal requests should be submitted by email to [email protected] no later than 7 calendar days prior to the scheduled workshop date in order to receive a full refund of the paid workshop fee. Withdrawal requests that are submitted after 7 calendar days prior to the scheduled workshop date will result in a refund of the paid workshop fee – with the exception of a $50 administrative fee for a 2-day workshops and a $25 administrative fee for 1-day workshops.
- If a student does not attend a workshop and does not submit a withdrawal request as outlined in the previous sections by the time the workshop is concluded, within 5 business days Heartland Play will issue a refund of the paid workshop fee – with the exception of a $100 administrative fee for 2-day workshops and a $50 administrative fee for 1-day workshops.
- Heartland Play reserves the right to cancel a workshop due to insufficient enrollment. Heartland Play will email workshop students at least 5 calendar days in advance of the scheduled workshop date to notify students of the cancellation. Notice will be provided with the option to reschedule for a future course date or to receive a full refund of paid workshop fees.
- Heartland Play reserves the right to cancel a workshop due to inclement weather, instructor illness or instructor family emergency. If a workshop is canceled, students will be notified via e-mail prior to the workshop start time. Heartland Play will notify the students of a reschedule date for the workshop within 10 calendar days of the cancelled workshop. Notice will be provided with the option to reschedule for the future course date or to receive a full refund of the paid workshop fee.