This workshop will focus on assisting clinical and play therapists in understanding their role in court testimony in relation to child and family therapy. Participants will become familiar with both civil and criminal court testimony and the importance of maintaining the integrity as their role as the therapist. Case examples will be provided as well as specifics on court preparation, reports, presentation and the pitfalls to avoid when testifying.
- Workshop participants will identify and discuss the clinical and play therapist’s role in civil and criminal court testimony.
- Workshop participants will review and assess skills on how to prepare for court related clients receiving play therapy services along with listing what to do when testifying in court and/or in deposition meetings.
- Workshop participants will discuss and create safe practices for their play therapy treatment plans as it relates to record keeping, sharing notes and files with attorneys and other paraprofessionals as well as prepare a plan on what documents to bring to court
- Workshop participants will assess and create a list of legal terms and legal professionals that they will come in contact with throughout the court process as play therapists are likely to be called into court due to family dynamics and custody rights common in the play therapy field.
- Workshop participants will assess the process for responding to subpoenas related to their play therapy work and court orders and explain how to comply with HIPAA regulations.
- Workshop participants will explore the legal and ethical considerations for the treatment of children served in play therapy with regard to age of consent, confidentiality and custody concerns.
Instructor: Jennifer Webbe-VanLuven, LCSW, CDM
Workshop Schedule for Both Days:
8:45-10:15 Sign-In, Check-In and Training Begins
10:15-10:30 Morning Break
10:30-12:00 Training Continues, Post-Test & Evaluations (Day 2)
- Cancellation requests should be submitted by email to [email protected] no later than 7 calendar days prior to the scheduled workshop date in order to receive a full refund of the paid workshop fee. Cancellation and/or rescheduled requests that are submitted after 7 calendar days prior to the scheduled workshop date will result in a refund of the paid workshop fee – with the exception of a $25 administrative fee for a half-day workshop, a $50 administrative fee for a full-day workshop a $75 administrative fee for 2-day workshop.
- Heartland Play reserves the right to cancel a workshop due to insufficient enrollment. Heartland Play will email workshop students at least 5 calendar days in advance of the scheduled workshop date to notify students of the cancellation. Notice will be provided with the option to reschedule for a future course date or to receive a full refund of paid workshop fees.
- Heartland Play reserves the right to cancel a workshop due to inclement weather, instructor illness or instructor family emergency. If a workshop is canceled, students will be notified via e-mail prior to the workshop start time. Heartland Play will notify the students of a reschedule date for the workshop within 10 calendar days of the cancelled workshop. Notice will be provided with the option to reschedule for the future course date or to receive a full refund of the paid workshop fee.