An Introduction to Autism and Sensory Processing Disorder in Play Therapy – Live CONTACT Web-based Workshop
Description: This play therapy workshop is a 6-hr diagnostic day dedicated to preparing workshop participants to work with Autism Spectrum Disorder and sensory processing disorders in the playroom. Participants will analyze and create specific play therapy interventions to assist in goal setting and treatment planning for this community.
- Participants of this workshop will analyze and discuss the criteria specific to Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and sensory processing disorders and the symptoms seen in everyday home, school, play therapy and/or clinical settings.
- Participants of this workshop will view, participate, and practice play therapy activities and approaches that promote social skills among those diagnosed with ASD and discuss interventions used with their particular clients to increase overall progress in the playroom.
- Participants of this workshop will experientially demonstrate 5 play therapy techniques to use with children who have lower and/or heightened sensory input.
- Participants of this workshop will develop and create sensory friendly stimuli to use within their play therapy practice.
- Participants of this workshop will analyze and list key concepts of identifying at-risk children who show early signs of ASD or sensory processing concerns through their play. Additionally, they will critique and discuss how this affects goal setting and treatment planning in their play therapy practice.
- Participants in this workshop will review current events and ideas as well as analyze the history of ASD and sensory processing concerns in order to better communicate and empathize with parents and caregivers who are working to support clients demonstrating the symptomatology of these diagnoses.
Instructor: Dr. Lindsay Bonebrake, LCPC, LPC, RPT, NCC, CCMHC
8:30am to 11:45am CST each day of the workshop
- The workshop PowerPoint and log-in information will be provided by email one day prior to the workshop. If a student does not login and participate in the workshop the student will not be eligible for a refund or a CE certificate for the workshop.
- Withdrawal requests should be submitted by email to [email protected] no later than 7 calendar days prior to the scheduled workshop date in order to receive a full refund of the paid workshop fee. Withdrawal requests that are submitted after 7 calendar days prior to the scheduled workshop date will result in a refund of the paid workshop fee – with the exception of a $75 administrative fee for a 15 CE hour workshop, a $50 administrative fee for a 6 CE hour workshop and a $25 administrative fee for a 3 CE hour workshop.
- CE Certificates are provided at the conclusion of the workshop to individuals who register, login and participate in the live web-based workshop.
- Heartland Play reserves the right to cancel a workshop due to insufficient enrollment. Heartland Play will email workshop students at least 5 calendar days in advance of the scheduled workshop date to notify students of the cancellation. Notice will be provided with the option to reschedule for a future course date or to receive a full refund of paid workshop fees.
- Heartland Play reserves the right to cancel a workshop due to inclement weather, instructor illness or instructor family emergency. If a workshop is canceled, students will be notified via e-mail prior to the workshop start time. Heartland Play will notify the students of a reschedule date for the workshop within 10 calendar days of the cancelled workshop. Notice will be provided with the option to reschedule for the future course date or to receive a full refund of the paid workshop fee.